Jett’s Marine, Inc. began its operation in 1929. Eugene W. Jett, Sr. started the business as a combination sports shop, hardware store and filling station. The store was formerly named “Eugene W. Jett, General Merchandise”, but everyone in the Northern Neck simply called it “Jett’s”.
One of the highlights of a local fishing or hunting trip was a hot lunch made to order by Mrs. Jett and young Jack (John M. Jett, Sr.). There was even a pool table for rainy days where Jack made pocket change by racking balls.
In 1947, Jett’s began to sell Mercury outboard motors. Later a boat line was added.
The business grew dramatically through the years. In 1972, the store was incorporated and became formally known as Jett’s Marine and Hardware, Inc. The hardware store was sold in 1979 and Jett’s Marine, Inc. was created to concentrate on boat, motor and trailer sales and service.
Following a disastrous fire in 1998, Jett’s Marine, Inc. rebuilt and moved into its present buildings with 31,500 sq feet comprising an indoor showroom, parts counter, offices, a large shop and a rigging department.
Categories: Marine & Marinas